All fountains require routine service and cleaning. Maintaining a beautiful water fountain is something everyone can do. Overtime, white scale and calcium deposits can build up in most fountains due to naturally occurring minerals in water. That, along with algae, can be some of the most common problems with water features. With proper maintenance, your fountain will have a long lifespan and continue running beautifully for years to come.
Creating A Schedule
To ensure that your water feature continues running properly and beautifully, it is important for all fountain owners to implement a scheduled maintenance plan. Because water fountains can be made of different materials, it is important to refer to your owner’s manual on what the fountain is made of. This will help you make sure that you do not accidentally damage your investment.
Typically, it is recommended to clean your fountain every two months. Depending on the size of your water feature, you may need to increase or decrease your scheduled cleanings. With all water features a full cleaning is recommended annually.
Follow these easy steps to protect the longevity and appearance of your fountain.
- Turn off the pump and remove any fountain accessories
- Drain water
- Scrub feature with a soft bristle brush or sponge to remove white scale or mineral build up
- Clean any tubing to prevent clogs
- Rinse unit and refill with distilled water
Prevention is key when fighting against algae and white scale. Using distilled water is a great prevention method that has been proven to work when combined with the cleaning methods suggested. Although you can use tap water, combined with a non-abrasive cleaner, hard water and mineral buildup is more likely to occur with this method. When used in their proper dosages, the following cleaners are a recommended. If you have any questions on the dosages recommended for your fountain, please contact customer service.
- Protec Fountain Cleaner - Protec is a concentrated cleaner that provides strong surface protection from white scale. When properly diluted it works to prevent white calcium deposits, remove stains on the surface material, and prevent pump damage from mineral buildup.
- Fountec Fountain Cleaner - Fountec is the best option for outdoor fountains. It provides the additional protection against algae and works to keep your water crystal clear.
- Diluted CLR solution- This is a great solution for tough stains. Please note that as this is a more abrasive cleaner, you will want to use this in smaller and highly diluted amounts. This is only recommended for severely aged fountains, and we do not recommend this as your first line of defense.Please contact us directly for more information on this option.
Please note: If you have a fountain with a custom logo, we do not recommend using cleaner over the surface area that has the logo applied. If you have a logo feature, please reach out to customer service for cleaning recommendations.