The Annapolis Fountain: Victorian Fountain at Government House
This Annapolis fountain is set in an amazing Victorian style and design which was installed at the garden of the Government House by year 1990. It was made by the Graham Landscape Architects of Annapolis and the sculptor came from the Historical Arts and Casting named Lyle Beddes. Its overall design involved the various images which represent Maryland and the rest of its bounty which include corn, tobacco, crabs, terrapins and the Baltimore Oriole.
This Annapolis fountain also serves as the inspiration of ex-governor William Donald Schaefer and his formal hostess in the name of Hilda Mae Snoops. Its total costs which reached about $169,000 were paid with all the private funds. By year 1994, Governor Schaefer made the official dedication to Mrs. Snoops who passed away in 1999.
The Government House which is situated right across the street from the historic Maryland State House in Annapolis was created in 1868 to serve as a mansion in a Victorian design. By 1935, it had its expansion and complete renovation into a five part Georgian house style. It stands just right by the bay window which still remains from the time of its Victorian beginnings way back then.
The Annapolis Fountain: Southgate Fountain
The Historic Annapolis is known to only have one memorial fountain which can be found on Church Circle. The Southgate fountain was given dedication by year 1901. The structure was made out of limestone which displays an Anglican cross with some trace of Gothic design on top of lion’s heads which feed on the basin made of granite. It is known for its renowned elegance and well restrained scale which adds to its aura of intimacy with its historic turnaround.
The city decided to have the fountain go into a restoration plan right in time for Annapolis’ 300th anniversary. Even if it is still in very good condition, the fountain still can be seen to have suffered from some natural deterioration due to the limestone weathering which led to the loss of the detail designs of the sculpture. The granite pool was kept together using iron clamps which had eventually rusted and its stones were cracked and allowed to cope to open. Hence, the pool can no longer hold some water. With the help of thorough inspection, the narrow stone cross was unraveled to have lost its mountings and was damaged by the wind.
It was Conservation Solutions, Inc. which was chosen to be in charge of the treatment of the fountain to reach the high standards of the Maryland Historical Society. A quick list of damages was made to ensure the client of the total and most precise estimate of the needed costs for the said project. All the coatings were taken off and the iron clamps were then replaced with some stainless steel and the rest of the stone surfaces were delicately cleaned. The basin was also made to be waterproof and can now be seen as functioning well as it was to serve when it was originally built way back.