It does not matter how big or small a home is there never seems to be enough storage. You can have one closet or a dozen of them and there will not be space to put the extra blankets you have accumulated through the years. The more things left out in a room the more cluttered it looks. Of course, storage has to work with your lifestyle, too. You do not want to be forced to put things in the basement in a box just to get them out of the way when you use them frequently. Below are some solutions that will hide things when not in use yet provide you with easy access.
1. TV Lifts – If you are scratching your head and trying to figure out what exactly a TV lift
is you are not alone. Most people have not heard of them, but once you have one you will wonder how you ever lived without it. A TV lift actually hides your flat screen when it is not being used. When you are ready to watch it the unit lifts the TV out of hiding to enjoy. There is a large variety available. You could buy one with an electric fireplace for your living room, and one that is a cabinet with drawers and shelves for storage.
2. Platform Bed – Okay, not just any platform bed will do. There are some with built-in drawers all the way around. This will eliminate the need for an extra dresser in the room.
3. Drawers Under Sofa – If you have a sofa or futon that sits on legs a few inches off the ground you can slide drawers under there. This is perfect for games, movies, and remote controls.
4. Ottoman – A hollow ottoman in the living room is perfect for all the throw blankets scattered all over the furniture. You could always leave one for decoration and hide the rest until they are needed. Plus, the ottoman will double as an extra seat when you have guests over.
5. Bench – A bench that opens to storage is ideal for the mudroom or by the door everyone goes in and out of. Obviously, it will come in handy to sit on to tie shoes, but it can also hold umbrellas, backpacks, book bags, mittens, gloves, hats, and scarves.
6. Wood Crates – Those wood crates you can pick up at the craft store dirt cheap can serve many purposes. They can be used for everything from toys to clothes to dog leashes. Paint or cover them in fabric and either stack them or mount on the wall. You can even turn them on their side to create a bench in a child’s room and then place plastic storage bins inside.