You do not need to have children to be concerned with backyard safety. However, if you do have children, you want to go out-of-the-way to make it safer for summer. Even if you don’t have kids, put these ideas to use to decrease the risk of any unfortunate occurrences from happening when you have guests over.
- Solar Lights – When it comes to increasing safety, solar lights are right up at the top of the list of things you should be shopping for. Just because you can find your way around in the dark does not mean anyone else can. Make sure stairs and walkways re well-lit, and then add a little colorful fun with string lights and lanterns. You can even buy bowls and vases that glow to bring a little fun to your décor.
- Safety Net on Trampoline – Trampolines are a ton of fun. They are also the cause of many summertime accidents. The safety net is not only for kids either. When one of your friends has a little too much to drink and decides they want to jump, you will be grateful they are not bouncing right off that thing onto their head.
- Pool and Hot Tub Safety – Drowning is the leading cause of accident-related deaths in children under 5 years old. Pools need a locked fence. If you have a hot tub it should have a locking cover or a fence, as well.
- Remove Tripping Hazards – If you have guests coming over walk back-and-forth around your yard to find and remove tripping hazards. This could include large branches, rocks, extension cords to fountains, garden tools, and toys. When the sun goes down these are things that become hazardous to your guests.
- Provide Shade – Not only can the hot sun cause burns; heat stroke becomes a concern, too. The risk is even increased if alcohol is involved because of dehydration. Patio umbrellas and canopies will create a shaded, comfortable environment.
- Safe Fire Pit – Bonfires and summer go hand-in-hand. However, a fire created in a ground pit can spread. Not to mention, there is always the risk of someone tripping and falling into it, and of course, there is always that one person who wants to prove they can jump over the fire! Everyone has that wild friend or crazy uncle. Purchase an actual fire pit that contains the fire. It is even better if it has a cover.